Fancy making one of your cross stitch projects into a wall hanging? I made this cross stitch wall hanging with only items I already had at home. No need to order any new or hard to sources kit!
So here’s how to do it:
2. Use your cross stitch design as a guide to cut one piece of wadding (not essential but nice if you have it) or felt and a piece of fabric down to the same size.
3. Cut 1cm from around the edge of your wadding/felt piece.
4. Lay the cross stitch design and fabric right sides together. Insert the string/ribbon for your hanging in between the two pieces facing downwards (see image below)
5. Stitch around the two layers of fabric on three sides of your piece, leaving the bottom edge of the hanging open and unstitched. Use a 1cm seam allowance for this.6. Trim across the corners where you have stitched and then turn the pattern and fabric right side out. Give it a good press.
7. Insert the wadding/felt inside the wall hanging.
8. Cut a piece of stiff cardboard (I used an packaging box) to the length of your hanging minus 2cm. Insert this into the very top of your hanging. This will keep the top edge stiff so that it hangs straight.
9. Fold the bottom edges under by 1cm and pin.
10. Stitch around the whole of the hanging using a 5mm seam allowance. Try not the catch the cardboard with your needle, it really won’t like that!
11. Give it a final press and voila! You have yourself a brand new cross stitch wall hanging!